Dr André Burger



Eye care professionals

In South Africa there are 2 types of eye care professionals:

Which specialist you choose may be a matter of personal preference or will depend on the nature of your eye problem.

Ophthalmologists are medical doctors (6 years of training) who have specialized another 4 years in the field of eye care to provide full eye care, such as, giving you a complete eye examination, prescribing corrective lenses, diagnosing and treating complex eye diseases, and performing eye surgery and laser. Dr. Burger is an Ophthalmologist.

He furthered his studies by completing sub specialty training in the fields of Oculoplastics and Vitreo-retinal surgery.

If you have a complex eye problem or need surgery, your doctor or optometrist can refer you to Dr. Burger.

However, you may make an appointment to see Dr. Burger without a referral.

Optometrists have studied 3- 4 years and are not medical doctors. They can evaluate your vision, prescribe corrective lenses, screen for, and diagnose common eye disorders and then refer you to an Ophthalmologist if needed.

They also fill prescriptions for eyeglasses, including assembling, fitting and selling them. Some also sell contact lenses.